Numicon is a proven approach to teaching maths to young children. It is a curriculum proof, multi-sensory approach, built on a proven pedagogy that raises achievement across all ability levels. With problem-solving, reasoning and conversation at its heart, Numicon perfectly embodies the aims of the National Numeracy Strategy.
Benefits of Numicon:
- It develops fluency by using a visual, practical base to develop conceptual understanding and fluent recall.
- It helps children to reason mathematically through the use of concrete objects and spoken language to explain and justify.
- It develops children into confident problem-solvers.
Numicon is a multi-sensory approach to mathematics using structured apparatus designed to give students the understanding of number ideas and number relationships that are essential for success in maths. In recent times, the programme has been expanded to embrace measurement, geometry and statistics/data handling.
Numicon will transform the way your children will come to understand mathematics.
Features of Numicon, it is:
- A distinctive multi-sensory approach to mathematical learning, which uses structured materials and lesson approaches to build & illustrate key mathematical ideas
- A proven pedagogy that raises achievement across all ability levels
- Focuses on and develops the language that children need for mathematical conversations within each unit of 160+ units of work.
- Suitable for age 3 upwards and includes resources for use at home and for special needs teaching
- Structured into units of work, focusing on a key mathematical ideas that are approached through a series of finely stepped activities.
- Extensively trialled with teachers and children
- Progressively and sequentially structured to help children develop fluent mathematical skills
For further information on the Numicon resources and approach, please see the Oxford University Press website – www.oxfordprimary.com.